The outbreak of COVID-19 changed the work and study methods of millions of people worldwide. Throughout March and April 2020, electronic devices increased their sales. This fact indicated that humanity was preparing for the arrival of teleworking and teleteaching.
Schools and institutes closed, and face-to-face education gave way to digital education, changing the uniform to pyjamas and slippers—the blackboard for a tablet, and the classroom, for the room. Not only lower teachings were affected, but universities, vocational training centres, and master’s degrees also saw how their facilities were emptied as of 2020.
Education, little digitized and excessively analogical, had to be adapted overnight to guarantee students quality education at home. Every morning, teachers and students saw each other’s faces through the screen.
Keys to a successful online tutoring
With the new restrictions, teleteaching continues in this 2020/2021 academic year until after a reduction in the pandemic rate.
For online tutoring to be successful and for both parties to interact, it must be attractive, mainly for the student, and incorporate the following keys:
- The teacher must abandon the decency with which classes are taught in the classroom. He must speak in an informal and close way.
- Establish daily objectives (in the form of tasks, controls) for the student to accurately monitor their work.
- Make connections individually or with a maximum group of five students to offer the opportunity for everyone to present their opinions and ideas.
- Establish guidelines when speaking so as not to run over in the interventions and so that all members can be heard equally.
- Have sufficient resources to know how to adapt to the adversities.
- Activate the camera to give the students a greater sense of closeness and make it more similar to a tutorial or face-to-face class.
- Carry out the tutorial at least once a week so that they feel close to the teacher and are more motivated to meet the set objectives.
Platforms and tools
In language classes, it is taught that, together with the sender, receiver, code, and message, the channel is one of the essential communication elements. Choosing well the means through which the teacher contacts the student is necessary so that the information reaches the latter correctly.
There are multiple platforms for sharing files and sending messages, but Moodle’s the most widespread in education worldwide. What is it, and what is it for? It is a free and open software used to create and manage the tasks given to the students. It also allows them to contact the teacher through internal messaging and submit assignments by dragging the file to the corresponding folder. The teacher can make the appropriate corrections which give the feeling of being in the classroom.
How to make video calls without giving personal data to the teacher? In this area, the options are multiple, and all are good. The most used tools are Zoom and Google Meet. The teacher creates a meeting on either of the two platforms and sends its link to the students he wants. Up to 100 can enter through the corporate email of the school or university or a message in Moodle. Both are useful because they allow you to share the computer screen with other users and do not require personal data such as the telephone number to establish the teacher-student connection.
The role of the online tutor
To be a reasonable distance tutor or eLearning tutor, you have to perform the following functions:
- Know the digital space well and know how to adapt. Goodbye to the seriousness of the traditional classroom.
- Be a great motivator. Facilitate communication with students and listen to them, not only with academic problems but also with personal ones.
- Create respectful communities. Make everyone respect their turn to speak, instil that all contributions are significant, and encourage tolerance and teamwork despite the distance.
- Contribute experiences. The teacher has to be a proactive entity that dynamizes the group, contributes their present or past experiences, and shows new formats or platforms in which the students can learn and that is always up-to-date in the subject they teach.
Serving as a guide for their students and keeping up to date with all technological developments are the challenges that teachers will have to continue to face from a distance. But at Dux Tuition, we have well-trained online tutors that will handle your studies for several subjects.
Also Read: The Importance Of Cleanliness In Sanitation.