Garcinia cambogia was first introduced to the United States in 1981 by a company called Mundipharma. According to Wikipedia, Mundipharma advertised garcinia cambogia as a weight-loss aid, and the company’s literature provided few details about the herb. Although Mundipharma marketed garcinia cambogia as a weight loss aid, there is currently no scientific evidence that supports this claim.
The Science of Garcinia Cambogia
There is no guarantee that garcinia cambogia will help you shed weight. Like most supplements, there’s no evidence that garcinia cambogia will help you lose weight or improve your health. However, there are a few certain things. According to the NIH Office of Dietary Supplements, there are “compelling data” that the best garcinia cambogia products have some benefit for people who are trying to lose weight or who already have a BMI of 30 or greater. The studies supporting this claim have mostly been in overweight individuals or people who are already overweight. Research has found that people with a BMI of 35 or greater were no more likely to lose weight with garcinia cambogia than those who weren’t on the supplement.
Taken in sufficient amounts, garcinia cambogia may also help you lose weight.
What to Look for in a Good Garcinia Cambogia Supplement?
While there’s a lot to like about garcinia cambogia supplements, there are a few things to consider before you consider buying one. Here are some of the most important things to look for in a good garcinia cambogia supplement.
Garcinia Cambogia is one of many dietary supplements that has passed FDA regulations. This means that it has been reviewed by a thirdparty and has been found to have no negative side effects and no harmful ingredients. However, you need to look for a quality product that has passed the FDA inspection. Companies that do not cut will have a more limited set of ingredients or have had minor changes made to the original formula. Look for the EPA and DHA test results, which indicate the quality of the product.
Benefits Of Garcinia Cambogia
Garcinia cambogia seems to be able to satisfy a wide variety of consumer needs. Studies suggest that it can improve cholesterol levels and aid in weight loss. Thus, below are some of the benefits of garcinia cambogia products.
- Aid Weight Loss– Research indicates that garcinia cambogia can increase fat burning, improve blood glucose, and increase metabolic rate. Scientists have found that although garcinia cambogia does increase blood glucose, it does not affect appetite in the way that many people expected. This may be due to the way that garcinia cambogia affects energy metabolism. Although this does not mean that garcinia cambogia is safe to consume, it’s possible that it can aid in weight loss. Although garcinia cambogia does not appear to promote hunger, it does seem to boost energy and help people burn calories more effectively. In this way, it may assist in weight loss. However, garcinia cambogia has yet to be found to decrease appetite and cause weight gain.
- Boost Serotonin Levels-Garcinia cambogia’s most popular claim is that it can increase serotonin levels in the brain. A central serotonergic function of the brain is its ability to reduce pain and increase mood. Studies are underway to test garcinia cambogia’s ability to increase serotonin in people with chronic pain. If this seems too good to be true, then you’re right, and it may be difficult to back up the claim. But one recent study in mice showed a correlation between weight loss and changes in brain serotonin in the ventral tegmental area of the brain. A rise in serotonin would suggest that people who lose weight and develop chronic pain may have increased serotonin levels.
- Increased Energy– A common claim made by supporters of garcinia cambogia is that the berries’ anthocyanin may increase energy by increasing the level of adrenaline in the blood. In essence, adrenaline is a neurotransmitter that causes the body to release chemicals that, when consumed, raise the heart rate and increase metabolic rate. A study published in the medical journal Diabetes found that, at doses that increased adrenaline production by 500 percent, blood sugar was suppressed, which, in turn, lowered insulin levels. They also found that, if the doses increased by 400 percent, the sugar increased as well. The metabolic rate of a person is directly related to the amount of energy the body burns.
- Relieve intestinal problems-Supplements that claim to relieve problems like constipation, diarrhea, and bloating are not always backed by sound science. That said, some of these supplements are considered safe for people with certain health conditions, and some have been proven to help relieve such conditions, albeit with small effects. In a small double-blind trial, one group of researchers tested and the results indicated that a prebiotic supplement, which included garcinia cambogia, improved overall IBS symptoms in a relatively short period.
- Block Fat Production And Reduce Belly Fat-There’s no question that garcinia cambogia can help decrease fat in the abdominal area. This is because it can block fat cells from developing. It does this by increasing thyroid hormone production. In a study done on both rats and human beings, it was found that garcinia cambogia is a potent appetite suppressant. While the results were slightly conflicting, most studies agree that it suppresses appetite. However, it also reduces hunger. Moreover, a study performed on obese rats (rat models of obesity are very similar to human beings) found that garcinia cambogia can lower cholesterol and increase the production of healthy fats in the blood.
- Lowers Cholesterol– A recent review published in the journal found that people who took a single dose of garcinia cambogia for a week had about a 30 percent drop in total cholesterol levels. The average cholesterol levels were found to be 154 mg/dL (0.48 mmol/L) for men and 141 mg/dL (0.44 mmol/L) for women. This means that they have an HDL cholesterol (“good” cholesterol) level of about 46 mg/dL (1.29 mmol/L) and a total cholesterol level of 156 mg/dL (0.48 mmol/L). The researchers found that this effect lasted for at least 6 months, and even past the 2-year mark.
Garcinia dietary supplement has become very popular as a weight-loss supplement. But before you think it is safe to take, make sure you’re consulting with your doctor about taking it, as it is a botanical supplement.