This post was most recently updated on May 4th, 2022
A urologist is mainly a trained professional. They mainly diagnose as well as treat different problems of the urinary tract. In the case of women, the urologist mainly deals with the problems associated with the urinary tract. The urologist can mainly diagnose as well as treat different issues of the penis as well as testicles in the case of men.
Different duties of the urologists to know about
A urologist is mainly trained to diagnose as well as treat different kinds of issues. All the urologists are mainly trained as surgeons.
There are some subcategories in urology, which includes:
- Pediatric urology.
- Male infertility.
- Kidney transplantation.
- Genitourinary reconstruction.
- Urologic oncology.
- The sexual medicine.
- Minimally invasive surgery such as endoscopic, robotic, as well as laparoscopic surgery.
People mainly visit urologists when they face the below issues such as:
- The frequent urinary tract infections.
- The person is unable to control their urination
- When there is blood in the urine.
- Different conditions of the male reproductive system. This includes benign prostatic hyperplasia or the enlarged prostate.
- Interstitial cystitis or otherwise known as the painful bladder.
Below are some of the different types of disorders treated by the urologists in Aventura:
- Cancers of the prostate, bladder, as well as kidneys
- The erectile dysfunction
- Kidney stones.
- The pelvic organ prolapse.
- The congenital urinary tract issues. This is the problem with the urinary tract that someone was born with.
The procedure followed during the urologist’s appointment
First the urologist will collect all the necessary details from their patients. They will also have notes regarding the patient’s condition from the referring doctor. After that, they will do an examination of the patient’s medical history as well as mainly conduct a physical examination. Below are a few of the tests the urologist might perform are:
- The most important thing to do is to locate the problem. This is mainly done by some of the imaging tests like ultrasound, MRI scans, or CT scans.
- Cystoscopy is a medical imaging procedure. This mainly enables the doctor to examine the inside of the urinary tract with a cystoscope. This is mainly used to collect tissue samples for testing.
- They also advise their patients to do a basic urine test to check for the presence of bacteria or any other signs of disease.
- They mainly recommend doing a Biopsy
- Urodynamic testing is mainly done to determine how fast the urine leaves the body. This also detects the amount of urine which is present in the bladder after urinating, as well as the pressure in the bladder.
After the issue is detected, different treatment methods can be applied depending on the condition. This can be medical management as well as surgery, as well. The urologist will mainly prescribe some of the following medications for treatment.
- Antibiotics for treating infections
- The hormone treatment for prostate cancer
- The chemotherapy drugs for cancer
The surgical treatment options which may be performed mainly include open surgery, laparoscopic, as well as laser therapy.
Tips to consider for finding the best urologists
- The primary care doctor will mainly refer their patients to a urologist depending on their condition. They must be able to give references about the best urologists in the local area.
- After the patients have prepared the list of urologists, they must try to research them. It is necessary to find out about their experience as well as skills. The most essential factor to consider at the time of selecting any urologist is their board certification.
- At the time of choosing the urologists, it is necessary to take into account the quality of service provided at the center.
These are some of the important facts to know about the urologists.