Let’s start with a fact – DUI and DWI are the same in New Jersey. Compared to many other states, New Jersey takes these offenses seriously (although not considered a criminal act). If you get convicted, the consequences are serious and severe. While the law permits you to defend yourself, you should consider hiring a New Jersey DUI Lawyer. We have five reasons that would persuade you to do the right thing.
- You have the right to legal counsel. The Sixth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution gives you the right to get an attorney. All criminal defendants, regardless of whether they are guilty or not, have that right. When you hire a DUI attorney, they can step up for you and ensure that you have a good chance against the prosecution team.
- You need help verifying evidence. It is not uncommon to hear of cases where people have been falsely accused of DWI, or the evidence submitted by the prosecution doesn’t justify a DUI charge. As someone who doesn’t know much about DUI & DWI laws, you may want an attorney to ensure that the evidence is genuine.
- Your lawyer could help avoid consequences. It is always wise to keep DUI charges off your record. In New Jersey, DUI charges cannot be expunged. However, when you hire an attorney, they can help reduce the charges. Lawyers know the local laws, courts, and how proceedings happen, and you can be assured that they did everything to keep DUI charges off your record.
- Your lawyer can find witnesses. Witnesses are extremely vital for cases involving DUI, DWI, and traffic violations. On your own, you may not be able to find reliable witnesses for your case. Lawyers help clients by working and investigating the case, and you can expect them to find resources that you may not find.
- Your lawyer can minimize the consequences. It is important that you understand that there is no way an attorney can guarantee an outcome for your DUI case. However, when your defense team is strong enough, they can argue for you and try their best to reduce the penalties/fines you pay if the ruling is not positive.
Don’t wait for long to hire an attorney when facing a DUI charge. Let an attorney decide about the legal strategy and defense for your case, and you just need to pay the lawyer an hourly rate discussed in advance.