This post was most recently updated on March 30th, 2023
From Google to Twitter, companies across the globe are actively using Machine Learning to develop better AI systems. You may have heard about Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning is a subpart of AI.So what is Machine Learning and how is it gonna change the world?
Machine Learning, Explained
Simply a program can learn something without having to be programmed for that specific thing. You may have heard about IBM’s Deep Blue AI, which defeated Garry Kasparov(A Russian Chess Grandmaster) in chess in 1997.
So how is Machine Learning different from Artificial Intelligence? The main difference is Machine Learning is a tool through which computers can teach themselves, and set their own rules. Google’s DeepMind gave some mainstream attention to Machine Learning after defeating the world champion of Go.
How Does Machine Learning Work?
These are the steps involved in developing a machine learning model:
- Gather data.
- Prepare data for training.
- Decide which algorithm to use.
- Train the learning algorithm.
- Evaluate the learning algorithm’s outputs/answers.
- Adjust the variables that govern the training process to improve output.
Types Of Learning
There are three main types of algorithms and Machine learning engineers can use for training the model:
- Supervised learning: The algorithm is given labelled training data (input) and shown the correct output. This type of learning algorithm uses outcomes from historical data sets to predict output values for new data. This type of training is often referred to as supervised machine learning.
- Unsupervised learning – The algorithm is given training data. The computer is left alone to detect patterns. It may be necessary to use a small amount of labelled data to help the model. This type of training is often referred to as semi-supervised machine learning.
- Reinforcement learning – instead of being given training data, the algorithm is given a reward signal and looks for patterns in data that will give the reward. In the case of a driverless car receiving input about the road and constantly is improving. This type of training is often referred to as Reinforcement machine learning.
Future Of Machine Learning
Tech companies are already using Machine Learning to develop a rich user interface for the user. For example, the Suggestion of videos on Youtube or the recommendation tab in different apps may be using Machine Learning. It will be mainstream technology in 2-3 years.
We can already see that search engines rely on Machine Learning to improve user experience. For example Voice Recognition and Image Recognition.
The Healthcare sector is starting to see the untapped potential of Machine Learning. In a recent development, a new machine learning process designed to identify hip fractures has been shown to outperform humans. Machine Learning demonstrates that it will revolutionize