If your home has old vinyl windows, sooner or later you will have to make a decision about which is better: to perform painting vinyl windows or install new window designs.
The contractors dealing with window frame painting will probably say it’s one of the best solutions for old windows. In turn, manufacturers of these products may disagree with them.
Let’s figure this out together.
Can You Paint Over Vinyl Windows?
Yes, you can paint over the window frames.
- First of all, it’s way cheaper than new windows.
- Second, you can change the color of the frames and make them a bright accent of the whole dwelling.
However, you need to take into account several important nuances:
- Do not paint simply over the vinyl, otherwise, such staining will flake and crack.
- Improperly selected primer and paint can void the manufacturer’s warranty.
- Poor quality painting can also lead to the cancellation of the warranty.
That is why we do not recommend doing this yourself.
Preparing Vinyl Windows for Painting
This task is best entrusted to experienced professionals who will perform all the work so that you do not worry about the condition of the windows and can use them for a long time.
Properly painted frames will retain an attractive appearance for 15+ years.
Often the staining process is as follows:
- First, the craftsman cleans your frames and glass with acetone.
- Then he sands the vinyl lightly with a medium grit sanding sponge.
- Next, a primer layer is applied.
- Now it’s time to paint the frames, most contractors do this with a spray gun. The spray allows a uniform pigment distribution: the use of brushes can leave traces and stains on the surface. At this stage, the craftsman applies 2 layers of vinyl paint.
- Finishing stage: washing and inspecting the windows. If necessary, the surface is painted again.
Vinyl Light Windows & Doors is recommended as one of the contractors to do this work.
The company has been working in this field for a long time and knows exactly how to perform painting vinyl windows so that it does not void the guarantee. The brand uses the same colorants and primers that were used in the initial coloring.
Contact the representatives of Vinyl Light and your windows will look like new!