This post was most recently updated on May 19th, 2023
Arlo cameras are top-notch security cameras used for round the clock surveillance. Arlo cameras incorporate highly advanced technology to deliver excellent results in terms of video recordings. These cameras come with a wide range of features, which include cloud recording with alerts, live video streaming and two-way audio, etc. Arlo cameras can be installed at homes or offices to cover the premises from every possible angle. However, to get the benefits of Arlo cameras, you need to set up these cameras in the right way.
In order to configure and run your Netgear Arlo pro security cameras, you would require to have the Arlo app. The app requires you to create an Arlo login ID. For this, just download the app from Google play store or Apple store, then open the app and select new user. You would require an email address and a password in order to create an account. Once your account is verified, then the job is done.
If you are unable to register through the app, then you can also go to their website at https://arlo.netgear.com to create your Arlo account.
Netgear Arlo Base Station setup
- Once your create Arlo account, it is time for Arlo base station setup.
- For that, you need to plug the power cord of the Base Station and attach the Ethernet cord to it. Then wait for it to connect to the internet.
- Once it is connected, the lights of the base station would light up. Once that is done, put the batteries on the cameras. They require 4 lithium ion rechargeable batteries each. You do not have to buy them separately as they also come with the package.
- These batteries can power the cameras for up to 5 months before needing a recharge. Put them in the correct order and then press the buttons that are there on the camera.
- You can also press the button that is present on the Base Station. These are buttons that would sync the cameras with the base station.
- If the lights are blinking, that means that the syncing process is ongoing. Once the buttons stop blinking, that means that the syncing is successful.
- Now it is time to connect the security mounts on the wall. The screw set is provided with the mounts, so use them when you are drilling holes on the wall.
- Once the security mounts are placed, simply attach the cameras to them. You need not worry about the cameras falling as these mounts have extremely strong magnets that would keep the cameras fixed in their position.
- You don’t have to use these mounts if you don’t need them as the cameras can work perfectly fine on their own and can support themselves when kept on a flat surface.
Note – Keep in mind one thing that the Wi-Fi range of the Netgear Arlo Pro Base Station is not unlimited. So make sure that your Arlo cameras are placed within the range or the base station would not be able to send or receive any data from them. Also, the lesser the barrier between the base station and the cameras, the stronger would be the signal between them. Once everything is properly placed, the Arlo camera setupand the Arlo Base Station setupare complete.
How To Setup And Sync Arlo Camera?
Arlo Camera Setup
- It doesn’t matter if you are using Netgear Arlo Q or Arlo Pro 2, the setup process begins with opening the battery compartment.
- Place two batteries in the battery compartment and close the hinge. Then, shut the battery compartment.
- Now, sync your Arlo cameras by following below-mentioned steps.
Steps ForSyncing Arlo Camera with Base Station:
If you want Arlo Base Station to detect Arlo Camera, then both devices must be synced. Follow below-mentioned steps to fix syncing problem:
- Keep both Arlo Camera and Base Station close to each other to ensure that the syncing process isn’t disrupted.
- Now, press ‘Sync’ buttons on both devices for 2-3 seconds and then, release the buttons.
Note: Don’t press the sync button for too long or else the USB LED will blink amber, which means the cameras syncing is blocked.
- Wait until you see a green light on the sync status LED.
- You need to press ‘Sync’ button on the Arlo camera for a couple of seconds.
- You will see a blue light blinking on the camera, which indicates a successful syncing process. If you see amber light on the LED, then that means, unsuccessful syncing.
- If you see solid green light on the camera LED on Arlo Base Station, then that sums up the sync process. You can sync other cameras using the same process.
Arlo New System SetupOn Arlo App
- After doing all the physical setup of the Netgear Arlo security system, you still have to configure its settings on the app.
- For this, go back and enter your Arlo Netgear login ID. You will see different choices of modes for your cameras.
Set up Modes In Arlo Camera
There are two modes in Arlo Camera that you can choose from, which are –
All Motion On Mode
- When you select the all motion on mode, the Netgear Arlo cameras would turn on their motion sensors to detect any movement.
- Once they do detect any sort of movement, they would immediately alert the owners by sending an email or a notification to their phones.
- In the meantime, it would also start recording the footage of the intruder as soon as it is detected and then send it to the owner. This mode is best used when you want keep surveillance when no one is present in the property.
All Motion Off Mode
- If you choose the all motion off mode, then it would disable the motion sensors and would not send any alerts to the owners. It would however, still be active.
- This mode is used when you are present within the property. You can easily switch between these modes any time you want through the Arlo app.
- These modes can also be configured to switch on their own at any particular day of the week or even at any given time of the day.
- By default, this switch has been fixed to 8 am to 5 pm for armed mode and from 5PM to 8AM for disarmed mode.
- You can easily change these settings by clicking on the pencil icon present at the edges of the buttons of these modes. Once you click on it, you will see a calendar. Here, you can select the days of the week and even the time at which you would like the switch to happen.
How To Choose Your Own Modes In Arlo Camera?
You can choose from predetermined modes, but if you wish to make some settings, where only some cameras change their modes while other cameras remain the same, then you can do so by creating your own modes. This is generally done when you are at home and want to switch to the disarmed mode for the cameras that are inside, yet keep the outdoor cameras in the armed mode in order to keep an eye on your car or on your backyard. In order to do that, follow these steps:
- Click on create mode option. It would ask you to choose the cameras which you would wish to configure.
- Once chosen, it would then ask you about how you would like to activate it. Once you have chosen your option, it would then ask you to configure the Arlo motion detection settings of the motion sensors.
- The level of sensitivity would determine how much movement would require for the cameras to detect and become activated. The higher the sensitivity, the more the cameras would be prone to become activated even at the tiniest of movements.
- After changing the Arlo sensitivity setting, you can choose the duration of the video footage that you wish to record. It can be anywhere between 10 seconds to 120 seconds.
- After that is complete, you would get the choice for ways you would want to receive the alerts. There are various options such as emails and notifications, so pick any or all of the given options.
And with that, the whole Netgear Arlo setup is complete. As soon as any intruder is detected, you would immediately be notified along with the recorded footage of the intruder. After that, you could choose to report about it to the authorities, or activate the alarm of your home base station. The home base station would start creating sound that could go as high as 100db. With its wide-angle lenses, you can be assured that no intruder would go unnoticed from the eyes of Netgear Arlo pro security cameras, and you can remain confident that your property will remain well guarded.
How To Register And Log Into Arlo Account?
After setting up Arlo Base Station, the next step is to register for Arlo login my account after which, you can perform Arlo Netgear login:
- Launch a web browser on your computer or smartphone and go to Arlo camera login page.
- As the login page opens, click ‘New System Setup’ option and then enter your ‘My Arlo Login’ account details in the right fields. After that, click ‘Continue’.
- From the drop-down menu, select the serial number of Arlo Base Station and then, click ‘Continue’.
- Select the correct time zone from the drop-down menu and then, click ‘Continue’.
- Choose the service plan you are most convenient with after which, the registration process for Arlo account is complete. Now, you can go to Netgear Arlo login page to log into your Arlo account.
Note – The same steps can be implemented for Netgear Arlo Pro 2 login, so don’t get confused when using this particular version of Arlo camera.
Frequently Asked Questions
How To Check The Battery Status On Your Arlo Camera?
Arlo cameras operate on battery power, so you must pay special attention to the battery. If it is running low, then the camera won’t work efficiently.
Follow these steps to check the status of Arlo camera’s battery:
- You need to perform Arlo login on computer by going to my.Arlo.com webpage.
- As you log into your Arlo account, go to ‘Menu’ followed by clicking ‘Device Settings’.
- You will now see battery status on the ‘Device Settings’ page.
- If the battery isn’t working properly, then you can visit support.arlo.com to find solutions to this battery problem.
How To Check The Status Of Arlo Base Station?
You must check the status of Arlo Base Station, as Arlo cameras won’t sync unless it activates.
To check the status of Arlo Base Station here is what you can do:
- Turn on your computer, launch a web browser, and enter my.arlo.com. Alternatively, you can launch arlo camera app on your smartphone.
- If using a computer, then you will have to enter your Arlo Pro login details after the webpage opens.
- Now, go to ‘Settings’ and then, click ‘My Devices’.
- From the list of options, select ‘Arlo Base Station’ after which, you will see device settings.
How To Restore ‘Offline Arlo Base Station’?
On the front side of Arlo Base Station, you will find the internet LED, which lets you know if the Base Station is online or not. If the internet LED emanates solid green light, then the Base Station is connected to the internet. If you see amber light instead of solid green light, then it means, Arlo Base Station isn’t connected to the internet or offline. To fix this problem, follow these steps:
- Make sure, if the Arlo Base Station is connected to the router via an Ethernet cable.
- Also check, if Arlo Base Station is connected to the power outlet.
- Power cycle Arlo Base Station by removing the power supply followed by reconnecting the device to a power outlet.
- If you see a solid green light on the internet LED and Power LED of Arlo Base Station, then it means the device is connected to the internet. If you see Amber light, then continue with the steps.
- Check if the DHCP option is enabled and the DHCP client of the router delivers IP address to the base station.
- If you can’t connect to the internet now, then check the security and firmware settings of the router.
- If no solution works for you, then you need to factory reset your Arlo Base Station. Locate ‘Reset’ button on the backside of Arlo Base Station. Press the button for 7-10 seconds and you will see an amber light flashing on the LEDs of Arlo Base Station. Now, the device’s settings are reset to factory defaults. Now, you should go to www.arlo.com login page and then, enter your login details. If this page doesn’t work, then check your internet connection or use a different web browser.
Why can’t I log into my Arlo Account?
If you are not able to log into your Arlo account at arlo.netgear.com account page, then you check the settings of your web browser if those are corrupt or not. You can solve the issue by restarting the web browser. If you are still not able to log into your Arlo account, then you should restart your computer followed by visiting Arlo login page to log into your Arlo account.
How To Reset your Arlo Camera & Base Station?
Is your Arlo camera and Base Station is not working, then you can perform a factory reset. As you do so, then it will change Arlo Base Station settings to factory defaults. It will also remove Arlo camera’s serial number from the Arlo account.
To factory reset Base Station, follow these steps:
- The reset button is present on the back of Arlo Base Station, so press the button using a paperclip or pin for 10-15 seconds.
- The LEDs on the Arlo Base Station will flash amber light after which, Arlo Base Station reboots and resets to default settings. As the Base Station resets, Arlo account is removed too.
- Now, you need to perform Netgear sign in using Arlo app or web browser, but make sure you see a green light flashing on the internet and power LEDs.
How To Contact Arlo Support?
Is Arlo camera or Base Station continue to be in a non-functional state? Then, you should get in touch with Arlo experts by calling 408-638-3750, which is the official Arlo support number. Alternatively, you can go to Netgear.com/support to know the answers to the majority of issues related to Arlo Camera and Base Station.
You can also visit this link https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/ to find out articles, manuals, and software updates about Arlo camera and Base Station.