Table of Contents
Prabhdyal Singh Sodhi is a former director at Abbey Healthcare. Prabhdyal Singh Sodhi is a healthcare specialist & Shares Ways to shower love for dementias. According to Prabhdyal Singh Sodhi, people who are going through this kind of disease need special care and support. They want somebody to live with them, spend time with, play with, laugh with, and others. NGOs which means Non-Government Organizations have also been set up to take care of people suffering from dementia or Alzheimer’s. Sometimes it can be overwhelming when you care for another person. So, in this article, we will provide recommendations and suggestions about how can you take care of them each day.
Prabhdyal Singh Sodhi Tells How we can shower love on dementia people?
People who are going through Alzheimer’s or dementia will come across certain difficulties like difficulty in thinking, difficulty in remembering, and reasoning as well, which affects their life and daily activities. These types of people need more care, support, and help which includes grooming, dressing, and bathing. Sometimes, dementia people feel very upset as they depend on another person for help and personal help and care too. There are many ways in which you can help dementia people.
- Make a routine of daily activities like eating, bathing, dressing, and others along with its specified time.
- Support people in scheduling and maintaining to-do lists, events, and appointments, and if they are facing any issues then help them too. Try to maintain those things in a notebook or mark them in a calendar.
- According to Prabhdyal Singh Sodhi, do the type of activities that dementia people enjoy while doing those activities and try to maintain that so that they learn to smile, encourage them to fight with disease and the smile remains on their faces every day.
- To maintain the time and dose of medicine, set an alarm or reminders. It will help them to take their medicines on time.
- Let them do their things like bathing and dressing so that they will feel that they are not dependent at least when it comes to personal activities.
How to talk and behave with dementia?
Sometimes it’s hard to communicate with the people suffering from Alzheimer’s or dementia because of the killing effect of not remembering anything. When they remember a few things then they many got angry, agitated, and anxious. Dementia has many types of forms, in one of the forms, the dementia people get affected with right or do not remember words or face difficulty while speaking. It is also important to think about them and understand their problem as they are facing many issues and won’t be able to communicate with others. You can help them in the following way in terms of communication:
- Make them believe that you can help them in fighting the situation and help them to communicate as well. But for that, you have to speak to them in a very calm manner. Enhance your listening skills, and take time to listen to their concerns and frustration as well.
- Help the people by keeping them calm and in control of their life as much possible as they can.
- If they want to stay alone for some time then respect their decision and words. Do not argue with them.
- Try to stay active and positive with them so that they will talk about them too.
- Stick and keep photographs of their relatives. By seeing the photographs they will talk about them with you and cherish their best old memories.
How do encourage dementia people to stay healthy and active in their lifestyle?
Every person should stay fit and healthy while eating the proper diet. It is very important to eat healthy food along with a proper diet for people suffering from Alzheimer’s and dementia. Try to maintain that habit of dementia people as the disease will increase day by day and so the effects. According to Prabhdyal Singh Sodhi, the following are some tips and tricks that you must follow to encourage the dementia people:
- Notice the type of activity they enjoy doing or by doing what type of activity they stay active, focused, and happy. Try to observe them and consider those activities that the people love to do be it household work, baking, cooking, exercise, yoga, gardening, walking, and many more. People will feel encouraged if you do the same thing with them.
- Join them in the activity they are doing as it will help to make that activity fun and more joyful. Some dementia people are also there who lack interest in the activity and do not want to join in. So, there is only one way to get them interested in the activity is by doing the same activity in front of them and encouraging them to join in.
- Music helps us to get fit our minds and heart. For some people, it is the cure for everything. So, try to include music while doing exercise, doing household work, or any other activity. It helps to encourage and motivate the dementia person.
Prabhdyal Singh Sodhi Tells How can you make the home a safer place for dementias?
Several key steps can make your home a safer and better place for dementia people by including safety features in it and by eliminating hazardous things from it. So, here are the following tips provided and approved by Prabhdyal Singh Sodhi which you can consider to keep your home safe for dementia people:
- Construct minimum one handrail besides upstairs. Also, by keeping in mind the safety measure for stairs you can keep a safety carpet grip on stairs along withdraw the step’s edges with bright and light color tape or marker that those people can consider and look at.
- Inserting protection plugs within electrical outlets is also the best thing to consider.
- Ensure that every room and area of your house has good and bright lighting.
Care homes are very important and essential for dementia people but what about if we can convert our home into a care home and a much safer place than that for dementia people?