This post was most recently updated on May 2nd, 2022
The name change process in India is very common. There could be many reasons for people changing their names in India. These reasons include not liking your name or changing it for religious reasons. People also change names after getting married. The procedure to change the name in India is very simple and not cumbersome at all.
PROCEDURE OF NAME CHANGE-
STEP 1- Submission of the affidavit- In this step, the person who wants to change their name needs to prepare an affidavit of the name change. Contact the local notary and he will provide the stamp paper on which the affidavit is made out. The details that need to be mentioned in the affidavit are the old name and the new name, the reason for the name change, and the current address in which the applicant is residing.
STEP 2- Publication in the newspaper- the announcement of the name change should be published in the newspaper.
STEP 3- The notification of the same is supposed to enter in the Gazette of India.
- An affidavit that is signed by the applicant is required.
- Original newspaper in which the ad for the name change was published.
- Proforma with signatures of two witnesses along with that of the applicant.
- A soft copy of the application is required.
- A certificate of a declaration by the applicant stating that the contents of both the hard and the soft copy of the application are the same.
- Passport size photograph and a copy of valid ID proof.
IMPORTANT POINTS TO REMEMBER
- Charges would include filing fees, fees related to signatures, etc., the cost depends on the whole process of execution of the application.
- The process of the name change, and the official name change can take as long as six months and even more in some cases.
- It is always suggested to get the name changed officially because most people sometimes just use the new name without getting it changed officially. It is important to change to the new name officially because if there is any case of fraud etc., then the usage of the official name becomes important.
- The applicant after changing to the new name should make sure to change the same in all the official documents.
ADVANTAGES OF NAME CHANGE IF DONE LEGALLY
- The name change services in India do not require the help of a lawyer. The procedures are simple and can be done by people themselves.
- The name change process is easiest through marriage and divorce. There is no strict rule as to the change in name after two people have married or divorced each other.
- It gets mentioned on all the records for the public to view including the government services.
DISADVANTAGES OF NAME CHANGE IF NOT DONE LEGALLY
- The name change if not done legally can become problematic for people because then it doesn’t get changed on all the important documents.
- This name change if not done legally might lead to fraud because people sometimes do this to evade their creditors.
- Getting a loan would get cumbersome and difficult for people if they don’t change their names legally.
Changing the name in India is very frequent. People change their names for different reasons. This is to say that the people should always change their names legally within the courtroom. This should be done by following the due procedure established for it.
Lawtendo is a platform for you to help in hiring legal counsel. We work twenty-four hours to provide the best lawyers who suit the needs of the customers. We work with a wide range of lawyers whose areas of expertise range from divorce, court marriage, and registration, property possession delay, cheque, and money recovery; to will drafting and agreement, employment issues, and builder disputes. In addition to this, we also deal with cases of wrongful dishonour of cheques. Lawtendo is a hassle-free platform that works rigorously to make sure the best lawyer reaches their client in time.