This post was most recently updated on December 1st, 2022
Halloween is synonymous with children ‘trick or treating’ or in other words, dressing up and overindulging in sugar! Many of us will have fond memories of Halloween during our childhood, but what’s in it for the adults? An opportunity to get crafty of course. We’ve handpicked some scarily delicious cocktails so you can get your spook on this Halloween.
Sweet, sultry and vibrant – the perfect Halloween drink to kick off this list. The Vampire’s Kiss cocktail is a favourite in bars the world over. Better still, with only a few ingredients needed, it’s also quick and easy to make. This blend features vodka, Champagne and Chambord – really putting the ‘treat’ in ‘trick of treat’. Because of its dark plum, round bottle, Chambord could often be mistaken for being cherry flavoured, but when you open up that bottle the bursting notes of black raspberry will be a treat for the senses!
- 20ml Chambord raspberry liqueur
- 25ml Smirnoff vodka
- Ice…or if you really want to amp it up, experiment with dry ice for that ‘misty’ appearance.
- A handful of frozen raspberries
- Red sugar to garnish (optional)
- Champagne, to top up
- First thing’s first, make sure to chill a martini or cocktail glass with ice or by popping it in the fridge. In a cocktail shaker, pour the raspberry liqueur and vodka along with some ice cubes and a handful of raspberries.
- Shake until the outside of the shaker feels very cold. If using the coloured sugar, dip the rim of your chilled glass into cold water, then into the sugar.
- Strain the mixture into your cocktail glasses and top with the champagne!
Witches, Zombies, Vampires; the Halloween Creatures are all out in force on this drinks list, including ghosts! Are you a tequila lover? Then take note of this ghoulish take on the classic Margarita – Picasso’s Ghost. Spicy, smoky (thank you mezcal), sweet and salty – there are lots of moving parts in this work of art!
- 30ml Ghost Tequila
- 30ml Los Vecinos mezcal
- 45ml Liquid Alchemist prickly pear syrup
- 15ml Suze
- 15ml dry Curacao
- 15ml oz lime
- Black salt, for rim
- Chill cocktail glasses, ideally a ‘Collins’ glass.
- Wet the rim of the glasses with water and dip them into black salt.
- Pour all of the ingredients into a cocktail shaker, add ice and shake vigorously for 10 seconds until the shaker is cold to touch.
- Strain into a black salt-rimmed Collins glass, finish with ice and enjoy!
A ‘thriller’ of a drink for Halloween, the Zombie Cocktail will be sure to bring you back to life! All the colours of the ‘rum’bow are in this tipple – with dark, white and golden rum all making an appearance! The comforting flavours of rum blended with pineapple and lime make this a spine-chilling vacation in a glass!
- 25ml dark rum (or you can mix dark rum and golden rum depending on your preference)
- 25ml white rum (or white rum mixed with overproof rum)
- 50ml of lime juice
- 150ml pineapple juice
- 1 tsp grenadine
For the garnish
- Orange wedges
- Maraschino cherries
- Sprig of mint leaves
- Chill a tall glass, or if you have a ‘hurricane’ cocktail glass, even better!
- Pour the rum and fruit juices into a cocktail shaker filled with ice and shake hard until the outside of the shaker feels really cold.
- Strain the mixture into a glass filled with ice, then slowly pour in the grenadine to colour the drink.
- Spike the orange wedge and cherries on a cocktail stick or small skewer.
- Top it off with sprigs of mint and the fruit skewer for that perfect tropical garnish!
The lavender hue of this cocktail may evoke feelings of serenity and relaxation, but this potion certainly packs a punch! This drink is what you’d imagine a cauldron to be full of, and has an almost spellbinding beauty! Although the ingredients are pretty basic, (vodka or brandy, blackberry liquor and grenadine) there are a few more steps to this one – but we assure you it’s worth the effort! Check out how to make the Witch’s Heart below.
- 1 Martini glass to serve (chilled)
- 30ml Apple Brandy or Apple Vodka
- 1 teaspoon Grenadine
- 60ml Blackberry Liqueur
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon powdered dry ice (optional)
- Add about 1/2 – 1 tsp of powdered dry ice to the bottom of a chilled martini glass. This is optional, however, to get that swirly, misty look, we recommend giving it a go!
- Mix the apple brandy and purple shimmery liqueur in a cocktail shaker. Add an ice cube and shake for about ten seconds until the shaker is nice and cold.
- Strain the drink into a martini glass and if needed, top up with more Blackberry liqueur.
- Pour 1 tsp of grenadine syrup, about an inch from the surface of the drink – the grenadine should sink to the bottom, creating a bleeding effect.
- Add about 1/2 tsp of powdered dry ice on top. Grab a stirrer and swoosh the shimmery liquid around. The cocktail glass will feel like your very own cauldron!
Ready to get spooky this season? Sessions liquor will have you covered for all your cocktail ingredients! Visit Sessions or chat to the team instore at one of their stores in Brunswick or Sandringham.